COMPANY // AOL
SOLUTION // AOL Money & Finance Website
MY WORK //
- Consulted with the AOL Money & Finance team on strategy and requirements
- Redesigned the Money & Finance website, including quotes and interactive charts
- AOL M&F website displaced Yahoo Finance as the #1 finance site
We utilized the waterfall methodology to develop this website.
THE PROJECT //
I was part of the talented AOL Money & Finance team in 2006 that helped develop the next generation of online investing tools, including real-time news headlines from more than 3,000 sources, interactive charts, in-depth research data, automatic stock price updates and a new easy-to-navigate format.
In November 2006, AOL acquired Relegence, a search technology company that offered real-time information and data feeds on a subscription basis to Wall Street professionals. With this new acquisition, AOL wanted to redesign the Money & Finance site to better compete with the current market leader, Yahoo Finance. Because of the massive volumes of data we obtained from Relegence, we set out to redesign the site to be more dynamic and visually compelling, while allowing the finance information and news to be easily accessible and intuitive. We researched and gathered all of our competitor sites in order to study their design, unique differentiators, and feature sets.
The new Money & Finance website provided automatic stock price updates as they occur without having to refresh the page, as well as real-time streaming company news provided by Relegence – the market’s leading financial news and information search engine. With real-time market-moving news and information, AOL Money & Finance offered the fastest and most comprehensive intelligence about North American equities in a customizable interface. Additionally, the site notified users in real-time when a company is “hot” as measured by higher than average news volume.
We also designed and built a range of interactive investment tools, advanced charts, blog-style news posts, and an expanded 980 grid. The site was intended to appeal to basic investors all the way up to an active trader looking for advanced tools and deeper insights to execute their finance strategies with ease.
The new features on the site included the following:
- Real-time headlines from more than 3,000 hand-picked sources, powered by Relegence, the leading financial search engine in the market
- All new stock portfolios platform
- Richer public company, mutual fund and private company data sets
- Stock prices that automatically update without having to refresh the page
- Advanced technical charting
- Automatic “heat indicators” notifying users when a stock is driving news coverage
- Interactive charts with decades of price data, comparison functionality, and more
- In-depth research data, including financial statements, mutual fund ratings, peer comparisons, insider transactions, SEC filings, earnings information, analyst recommendations, research reports and more from well-known partners including Hemscott, Interactive Data, Morningstar and Thomson Financial
We launched the new AOL Money & Finance 2.0 site to rave reviews where it quickly became the #1 finance website with over 14M unique visitors per month.
IN THE NEWS //
- TechCrunch: AOL Gets Serious About Finance
- 24/7 Wall St: New “AOL Finance” A Winner
- CNET: AOL acquires financial news search company